Saturday, February 4, 2017

Project Quilting Challenge 8.3

This week we used texture as our inspiration for Challenge #3. A rotten head cold slowed me down & I almost backed out this week, but I had a vision and I wanted to see it through! Here is my finished wallhanging. It is 20 x 24. I used batik scraps that I thought had a textured look to them, I tried to find fabrics that mimicked the cliffs, the flow of the river & the sunlight in the trees. After I GLUED the pieces down I very loosely attempted to thread paint more texture to the design. I added sequins to represent fairy lights and made little prayer flags and sewed them so they looked like they were blowing in the wind. My inspiration was the Rocky Mountain Folks Festival and the textures of a summer day on the St. Vrain. 








It's still icy cold here this week & it snowed again today. I am ready for hot summer days! Working on a fun batik quilt next door & hoping to get it finished up tomorrow. Cami & Mr. Tumnus were hanging out by the basement door today begging for handouts! It was so ugly out today but at the end of the day when I was heading home, the sun setting on the wind swept prairie was amazing! 


9 comments:

  1. OMG the goat noses are adorable. I love your project - and it looks JUST LIKE your pictures! wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really struggled getting it to look right but then I had to remind myself it was supposed to be my interpretation not a photo copy & then I wasn't as frantic about getting it just right.
      Aren't the goats hilarious!? They were begging for frosted mini wheats and FIGHTING over who got the first one! Poor guys can't understand all this snow!

      Delete
  2. Love how the prayer flags and fairy lights add the perfect touch of detail

    ReplyDelete
  3. That in a week is amazing! AND with a head cold makes it even better! What a wonderful piece to have up in your home and remember this challenge and how determined you were to let this piece out of your head and onto fabric. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a prayer flag from my friend who went to Bhutan. I didn't know anything about them until then. Love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love prayer flags! How cool that you have one from Bhutan!

      Delete
  5. this quilt makes me smile! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your 3 girls make me smile! I love watching the live prize announcements on Facebook, their energy is like little bursts of joy that get me motivated for the next challenge! I can imagine there is never a dull moment at your house :)

      Delete